Pinterest

background

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Crock Pot Stuffed Bell Peppers *UPDATE*

So, I did make the Crock Pot Stuffed Bell Peppers! And they were awesome...my son really enjoyed them and I am excited because I can easily make this into a vegetarian option for the Lenten season for a Friday meal.

Anyway, here is what I did.

1 lb ground bison
1 to 2 cups quinoa, toasted and prepared according to the label
1 zucchini, medium dice (about 1/4"x1/4"x1/4")
1 yellow neck squash, medium dice
1 shallot, brunoised (small dice or 1/8" cubed)
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 cup or so of a dry white wine to deglaze your pan
3 to 4 medium bell peppers, tops removed, seeded and cored...try to get as much of the white pith out as possible since this is bitter
1 box of Pomi Chopped Tomatoes
1 Carton of Chicken Stock (once I get back into a groove, I intend on making my own stock but I have these in the kitchen and need to use them up!)
Kosher salt 
Fresh ground black pepper
Your favorite cheese, shredded, I used left over mozzarella and Parmesan from our 8 year old sleep over pizza party
Fresh parsley, minced

Brown your bison (or beef) with a pinch of salt, drain if needed, add in the shallots and be sure to add some more salt (build your flavor layers as you go, seasoning with each new layer).



Once the scallions become translucent, add in the garlic.

 
 Now add your zucchini, squash, and some more salt.

Deglaze your pan with the wine, simmering until the alcohol smell has cooked off. Season with more salt and pepper if needed.



If you are ready to stuff peppers at this point (I did mine the night before), combine with cooked quinoa (toast it until it smells nutty in a skillet, then add your water to cook it. I did it all in one non-stick pan.)



Now add your cheese if you want it cheesy.


Salt the bell peppers, stuff them, and then place them into the crock pot.

Cover with tomatoes and pour in the chicken stock. If you want a veg alternative, omit the bison and use vegetable stock.




I hit it with just a pinch more salt to make sure my flavors sung. Then, I turned the crock pot on to low and cooked for 8 hours or you could do high for 4 to 6 hours.

I made a quick sauce (reduction) using the chicken broth and tomatoes that had cooked down to serve with the peppers.

 And for my left over use, I baked a spaghetti squash, scraped it out and used the bell pepper stuffing I had left over as my "sauce." Yum!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweet this!